I found a pretty yellowed C64C in a box which is a symptom common with the C64C due to some cases using a particular type of plastic which yellowed very easily over the years. This one was pretty extreme, even the insides were in a state with rusted sheilding for the motherboard and plenty of dirt and dust. I had pretty much picked this one up a few years back second hand, packed it away for spares and forgot about it until having a sort out.
Inspired by Jason (Kenz) Mackenzie’s Speccadore 64, I decided to spray the thing black to create a very quick modded C64C. Firstly I stripped out the board, cleaned it throughly with cotton buds and alcohol on the board. Then I masked the C64’s machine logo and LED with masking tape to mask those areas and preserve them for once the job was complete.
The missus very kindly picked up a can of Plasti Kote from Wilkinson, which although didn’t seem a lot – did the trick of covering the machine. After about a day’s work, leaving the case periodically for 3 hours to dry on each side, and for touch ups … this was the result…
I had tried to use a C16 keyboard inside (which has grey coloured keys, which fitted the black case better), but found that the mapping is different, and the keys didn’t work – but the C64C keyboard still looked fine anyway in a very contrasting sort of way 😉
Only thing overall was that I rushed things a bit and ended up getting drips and imperfections around the case – but I was pleased enough with the results, and have learnt for next time when I do another case I have that is all messed up (next with a blue shade 🙂 ). If you try and do anything similar, make sure you apply thin coats first and apply in stages – not try to do it all at once!